Saturday 5 October 2013

LOVE OR ARRANGED : BE WISE WHILE YOU DECIDE

Love or Arranged: Be wise while you decide!!
By Sakshi Chaudhary

Living this hostel life makes me so pleasurable. Here, we have freedom, late nite parties together, lots of fun, celebrations, games. I would like to share one episode of ours which made me write on this. Last night, we the girls were playing that very common - the traditional youngster game which you call "Truth or Dare" . Now, we improvised it as "Truth , Dare or Stare" . Silly us! So, I catechized one of my friends on her turn, what would be her decision if she had to choose between her love and her parents; to which after thinking a lot she responded in favour of her parents. I passed on the same situation to every girl and to my surprise , each one of them would go with their parents as per their replies.

This made me a think a lot ( i usually think a lot) . I asked myself "Am I too self-centred?" to which my mind and my heart both were together this time replying a "No." I am a girl of my own ideas , and a big follower of Sir Paulo Coelho who says "Don't let others say that this road is better or that route is easier. The greatest gift god gave us is to make our own decisions." And I am proud about what i feel about the society norms and have a stong will to change them.

I remember I read somewhere that 74% of indians still prefer arranged marriages according to a survey. This reflects that Indians are still conventional in thinking of marriage as a set-up in which a person should fit into the family. Your parents, grandparents, uncle and aunts and rest hundreds of relatives should like you partner regardless of your own feelings. So, it means that your partner needs to be a perfect match for your family. Then, what about the one who sticks to you and sticks by you and treats you as an equal and not as a relative in the house. When these illustrious society people ask this question to you "Do you want an arranged marriage or a love marriage?" You know what the actual translation of this question is? Its - "Do you even have the common sense to know the right match for you or would rather choose your Mr./ Ms. Perfect and make a blunder of you life in the name of love." First I wish they get some brains and then would like to ask them "How many couples they know about who had arranged marriages which were completely acceptable and they are comfortable with each other, enough to spend their lives together, happily?" I highly doubt they'ld able to answer me here.

Arranged marriages are all about weighing the pros and cons of getting into an argument or tussle with an individual to whom you are not sure of revealing your innermost thoughts and feelings. To enter a matrimonial alliance, the two individuals need to be great friends first. While I was having a debate over the same issue with my friends, they strongly said "The society is changing , Sakshi! Now, even in arranged marriages the girl and the guy have long talks and get to know each other so well. I explained them "Girls! You need to get aware of this fake world around yourselves. People can fake upto a limit you can ever imagine. You can't just make out having few ralks before 3-4 months of your marriage. It takes years to get to know a person well. The real picture comes before your eyes when you are made to live with it. There are several couples who live in the same house like strangers without communicating at all or couples whi have been living in different cities and have no relationship between them. The only reason why these people do not become a representative sample of population during a survey of divorce, is that, legally, they are not divorced for the sake of society; but pyschologically they are. Arranged marriages are no more than social contracts in our country where the bride's family offer payments alongwith their daughter.

Marriage must be arranged by two individuals, where they mutually come to a decision regarding the order of their life together, based on love, affection, respect and commitment. While I harbour respect to both kinds of marriages, I choose to take the path where I maintain my individuality.

37 comments:

  1. an incredible piece of writing..welcome to the world of blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superlyk dear.. M endorsing ur excerpt 👍...applaud able 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in the final success of marriage love or arranged hardly matters. Every marriage requires work, irrespective of whether it is a love or an arranged marriage. This article was well written Sakshi.. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. vry true di...i really apreciate ur views... nd hope many youngstrs will b inspird by ur wrds..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. quite a controversial topic, but you held your point very well. Very nicely written. I totally get your point though do not agree to it completely, but that's not really important. I really liked how you started, getting reader in an open mindset. Amazingly encapsulated your feelings about it. Great work... i really enjoyed reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot mansi. I always love the way you appreciate. :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. its so strange that parents prefer (in today's time) marriages after getting maturity bt the things get weird when we wish to have love marriage they say....we r nt mature enough.....dn y d hell u r getting us married??????
    there r cases love marriages r nt preferred jst bcause of caste,class ...................etc etc stuffs.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nandini sweetie, that's true. Go with ur heart, nobody can take ur decisions bttr than you!

      Delete
  9. sakshi very well written...i know their is alot more things to say abt this topic but i know one thing love or arranged has no role for making marriage to be successful..its us, who make it successful..so its depend on person to person ..if a person is genuinely good n caring he/she definately makes it..n love happens anytime so wats matter if its generate before or after marriage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vibhu, first thanks a lot. :)
      I agree there are a lot more to say and discuss about. Cz this is a life changing decision and each kind of marriage has its own advantages and limitations. I stated in my last line that "I harbour both of them bt i prefer to choose the path where i maintain my individuality."
      And that's my opinion , i am not asking somebody to accept the same ideas. The title was to BE wise while you decide. So it's all upto you.
      Thanks that you shared your views here! :)

      Delete
  10. I thnk d prblm z nt parents. the biggest prblm z society.. our parents r d one who understand us d best.so if we make them understand den they will listen 2 u and do wat z best 4 ur and d rest only depends on partners how they make their relations best..
    well sakshi wat 2 say abt ur writtings.. u express ur thoughts fantastically.
    Proud of u gal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rashi, yo babe! Thankss a lott! :)
      I appreciate your views!

      Delete
  11. Great piece
    really loved your grammar and vocab
    regarding the topic its really CONTROVERSIAL
    I mean there are many situations and circumstances that can govern your wedding decision( we all know them)
    the thing is regarding this topic u cannot choose ny1
    like m not against the Love marriage still Arranged marriage will be my first choice
    If u c today's scenario love has become more SEXUALLY ORIENTED
    having a partner is for maintaining a status amongst your peer not because you need someone to share ur feelings
    Moreover always parents will come first before love..
    Though I might seem judgemental But this is what I feel...
    great writing BTW
    I knew U were gud at writing
    But this was better than i thot...
    Hats off..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amol, thanks a lot! Trust me i didn't expect you would appreciate me so well. Thanks. :)
      And, my effort of writing on this issue was just to indulge people and their views. I am not trying to force my views upon anyone. Everybody has their own views and i respect it.
      :)

      Delete
  12. Ya truly manish! I agree! One should never care abt what society says. Cuz they are not the ones to decide anything about you. And, true love is really difficult to find bt once u find its all heaven around nd one wrong decision ruins it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Acording to me parents shud widen their mentality n shud support their children.....perfect effort sakshi (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  14. sakshi...ur words or rather words with conviction have always made a difference to me....but this tym u completely convinced me fr somrthing i was really adamant about...i think your urge to bring a change really reflects through this article....waiting fr more good stuff that can wipe off some other illusions about this DAMN society from my mind...:)...kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Utkarsha, thankss a lotl! :) the words of appreciation really matter! :)
    Ya, sure! Even i can't wait more , to give our readers more stuff like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazingly expressed! :-)
    Conflicting topic bt very well written. :-) proud of u.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wel Done Sakshi .. Am Proud on U.. How gently u expressed urself through ur Words _ :-)
    God Bless U Kiddo _

    ReplyDelete
  18. sakshiii....gal !!! u left me speechless !! :) :) u provided an orifice to ur amazing thoughts ......... well done babe !! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot mrigakshi for appreciating so well! :-)

      Delete