Monday 14 October 2013

TALENT HUNT

When you have got your favorite dish for the lunch , all your focus in on devouring the sumptuous food and giving no attention to what is going around. So was my case , one fine afternoon, enjoying the lunch-break with my friends and yes , my favorite dish :) . My friends were discussing something since we ensconced to have the lunch but as i was busy glutting , I barely lend my ears to the discussion until I heard something or I would rather mention some words that suddenly made me obsequious. IIT DELHI ; RENDEZVOUS ; REGISTRATION ; EXCITED , was all I could imbibe from their then going discussion. The story so far was IIT DELHI'S cultural fest , RENDEZVOUS , was round the corner. Yes , RENDEZVOUS was about to hit the city and a being a delhite and an engineer I was totally oblivious of the fact :\ What a turn off!! Do you people also fall under the same umbrella? :P If yes, raise your hand and give me a high-five :D yaayy!  (What! You all knew about it? Fine, don't give me those looks now!)
So, where I was! Yes , RENDEZVOUS. My friends were registering themselves for the singing competition in the fest. Didn't I mention I am surrounded with all the talented people? Singers, dancers, artists, instrumentalists, name it and I will put forward each one from my friends' list (Not the facebook one, you Einstein! I have a real world to live in :P) And that is my point of discussion today TALENT ( although I have nothing to discuss about it :P )
When you start feeling and rather better know that you are the only one UNTALENTED among all the acquaintances, does it not bother you , makes you glum? If it doesn't , then you, my dear friends, are among the best persons alive on earth or may be the narcissists :P But if does, then come on join my army and lets retaliate against God for being so biased towards us :( Yes, it really hurts to realize you are good at nothing and this what I have been constantly feeling for the past one week. Believe you me , it is so depressing at times. From the past one week, while my singer friends were busy rehearsing and being delirious for the event, I was busy sulking :\ Glum and almost with nil confidence I reached home and discussed everything I felt with my mother. Mothers, you know, will never let their child feel unworthy of anything. So she started to fill me with confidence albeit without success. Her first attempt could not even inject a single drop of confidence in my dejected nerves. but she didn't give up and explained " you never know what all you can do and be best at it until you try". " yes mom I know but this is not something called talent, something god-gifted" I argued. "How do you define talent?" she questioned. "Obviously, something god-gifted" I uttered. "Poor gal, you are in illusion. Talent is not always God-gifted. It is what you are best at and you can't be best at anything until you try, try and try!" she repeated with a smile. "You say I am the best cook. Do you think god gifted me and all the mothers with these culinary skills? Of course not, this is something we mothers tried one day and are trying to improvise till date. And then you call us talented moms" she completed with a wink. I don't know how but she always makes me understand things so better. Now my sulking tank was less than half. I got her point! :D So what if I can't sing, can't dance or can't event paint. If one day I try and never give up, may be one of these would be my talent or may be someday, at some point in my life I will find my mysterious talent :p I am feeling happy now :)
Apart from being enlightened by my mom, there is something I realized : Sometimes we do tend to underestimate our potentials despite of the fact that others have full faith in our capabilities. This thought left an ear to ear smile on my face and my sulking tank is almost emptied now. I have decided to register myself for some events. I know am not gonna excel but there is something called experience that will help me rise :) Wow!! With so much optimism I am sounding like some spiritual guru :p So maintaining my spiritual guru's image here's a short message to all who feel the way I had been feeling recently : "Always look up to life with a new ray of hope. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF even if the world stops believing in you".
I know am not talented and still hunting to find the address of my talent's abode and I sulk at times. But there is one thing I am certain of, is not loosing hope that I CAN , if not today may be one day , someday. After all, the world is not ending tomorrow. Is it? :p

30 comments:

  1. Awsum shivangi...:)
    Enlightened me wid the ray of hope that yes one day i may b able to explore my talent...:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am clinging to the hope :P one day will come surely :D

      Delete
  2. Shivangi, amazingly expressed! :)
    We shall all be going together girl and i know you gonna rock it!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow shivangi !! Beautifully expressed! :-)
    N U knw wat....'every cloud has a silver lining' ;-) The only thing we need to do is 'Believe ourselves' :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly mrigakshi! We just need to try and not loose hope..and thanx a lot :D

      Delete
  4. true yr.....bt evn if v r talented n v knw dat....still v dnt hv confidence....dan its a worse situatn....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But i think when you are aware of your capabilities confidence follows..but you can still change ur worst situation sia..just BELIEVE IN YOURSELF..don't give a damn what the world will think..:D

      Delete
    2. evry 1 says to believe in urslf n neglect othrs bt hw can v ignore d presense of so many people around us....
      i mean evrybdy is aware of imprtance of selfconfidence...bt its difficlt to gathr it...
      if u hv ny way out or any idea hw to build selfconfidence do share wid us....

      Delete
    3. Neglecting others doesn't mean to neglect their presence sia..it means not to bother yourself by thinking what the others will say..may be I am contradicting my statement but all I need to say is when you know you are right or good at something you not always need others' approval..people will admire you if they have to..it has nothing to do with your capabilities :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesme article
    nd vry encouraging :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very encouraging article . will now try my hands at a lot of stuff without the fear of failing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanku^.^ i will be trying the same ashutosh ;) hope someday i could sing :P

      Delete
  8. thanks yr....definitely vl try to follow this....
    gr8 wrk.....jst keep it up.....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice article i must say shivangi! So much encouraging not only for those who feel they are talent-less, but also for others who are willing to try different stuff but are just shot down by others or by their own insecurities.. keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much abhilasha :) I am glad you guys are finding it encouraging :D

      Delete
  10. so true.. and the one who is sincerely trying will never have the time to care about the world..

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanku for encouraging us shivangi by this wonderful article of urs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another fascinating side I got to know about u ,impressive !!
    Way encouraging :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very good article...I think we all feel "untalented" at times in our lives. But we all truly are gifted in one way or another. It may be in ways that are less about talent, per se, and more about...life! Like being compassionate and helping others. That being said, I believe you, Shivangi, ARE talented in ways that you have not yet even discovered. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amanda :D it means a lot to me <3

      Delete